incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Teams and Leads (was: Proposed short term goals)
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 11:52:05 GMT
On 16 June 2011 12:00, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 6:47 AM, IngridvdM <IngridvdM@gmx-topmail.de>
> wrote:
> >
> > I am really in favor of going without anyone being named leader or
> manager
> > or any name that could create the impression that this person has more
> > rights than the others. Maybe we can choose 'contact' as a neutral
> > description in case something turns out to be needed? Or is there even a
> > more neutral word?
>
> The only 'contact' that people need for this project is
> ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org.
>
> If this list grows too large or too busy, then we can create
> additional 'contacts' in the form of more mailing lists.

OK, sounds sensible to try using what already exists until there is a good
reason not too :-)

Let me test the system ;-)

Alexandro Colorado and myself (both been involved with the OOo community for
years) have been negotiating with a large training company to provide a
community backed certification for OOo but with a vector to potentially 1500
centres. I previously sought and was granted permission by Oracle to use the
OOo branding on certificates. I guess we need community consensus here now,
to carry on with that. There is quite a long history to all this and I
declare a financial interest. I set up a UK government accredited awarding
organisation (The Learning Machine Ltd) to enable a mechanism for funding
FOSS and CC education development that was independent of licensing ie the
business model is QA so no problem licensing any supporting stuff freely.

To get started required investment so the only way to do that was to set up
a for profit and sell shares. That together with EU grants has put well over
£1m of investment into this. We have had some successes such as schools that
started using our generic certification with MS products that have now
switched to OOo. I can get the FOSS voice heard in influential government
places. The strategy is in general to be product neutral but to use FOSS for
all exemplars and supporting materials. This gives us a channel to get
closed source users at least in contact with FOSS so there is a clear
marketing strategy. With OOo certification we can say eg the WP certificate
was achieved in the context of OOo Writer and put an OOo logo on the
certificate. The assessment criteria are generic so we could do the same
with LibO, Koffice etc. or indeed any FOSS software project, Inkscape, Gimp,
Audacity etc. WE could even do professional Apache qualifications if there
was a demand. Once we work out delivery costs (Its variable and depends on
volume) we give a kick back to community funds in return for using the
branding. We have the infrastructure in place using a LAMP stack for
assessment and certification and Drupal for community support with dynamic
links between the 2. Portal is at www.theingots.org. The acronym INGOT is
International Grades - Open Technologies.

We are accredited by Ofqual the UK national exam regulators and endorsed by
the UK Sector Skills Council for Business and IT. All our qualifications are
referenced to the European Qualifications Framework. We have 2 EU Transfer
of innovation projects and we are monitored by all these so the community
can have some confidence that we "know what we are doing". My background is
that I was a UK School Inspection Team leader and assessor of the National
Professional Qualification for Headteachers.

So what I'm asking for is permission to use the OOo Trademark and general
community support.

Trying to keep this reasonably short so please feel free to ask any
questions.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940