incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <>
Subject Re: Subversion history
Date Sun, 19 Jun 2011 14:34:19 GMT
On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin <> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Marcus (OOo) <>
> wrote:
> <snip>
> > When Oracle will shutdown the main server for distributing release files,
> > then also the mirrors will delete them (except GWDG which I've asked to
> host
> > the files longer).
> >
> > So, we have to rebuild a little mirror system if we want this structure
> > back. But maybe it's enough to have all older builds on a single
> > (non-Apache) server?
> IMO continuity of hosting and comprehensive archival (for the record)
> are important but orthogonal.
> Going back to the start of this thread, has long term
> archival expertise. I don't see any need for formality or ceremony
> before initial contact. IMHO it'd be cool if a volunteer at least let
> them know what was happening and discovered whether they might be able
> to help with long term archival. (This contribution would not require
> commit karma ;-)

The main issue with leaving the service to "just happen" is
download links, which don't get archived by default. I made a tentative
enquiry to their info alias and will report back when there's a response.
Given how upset some people seem to get whenever I attempt to contribute
here I'm making sure to check in before trying to do anything anyway, so
those with concerns can breathe easy :-)