incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: Subversion history
Date Sat, 18 Jun 2011 23:04:38 GMT
On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Marcus Lange <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:

> Am 06/18/2011 10:45 PM, schrieb Simon Phipps:

>>> Probably not, but in more recent years, we've been talking about how
>>> to distribute non-ALv2 from ASF hardware. Essentially along the lines
>>> of, "this is not ASF software; we are providing it here as a
>>> convenience." We just don't want to mislead people to think they are
>>> Apache releases or Apache-licensed.
>>>
>>> Identifying the archival releases that need to be saved is important,
>>> regardless. Maybe the TDF could distribute those, or maybe OSU/OSL or
>>> one of our mirror providers. I've got to believe that a volunteer
>>> provider would be willing to hold the archives.
>>>

>> One viable option would be to approach archive.org and ask them to host
>> the
>> legacy releases (naturally we'd need to help make it happen). In fact, it
>> might also be smart to try to host a snapshot of the entire OO.o site
>> there
>> before there's a full transition from Oracle to Apache.  I've sent an
>> enquiry to their info alias to get their views.
>>

> Maybe you haven't seen my previous mail. The releases are already backuped.
> For the entire OOo site it's difficult as (as far as I've understood) it's
> not one and the same license. So, we have to look first for every part if we
> are allowed to use it at all.

I saw you mention the GWDG mirror server and a secret hidden directory
containing an archive, yes - that would be a fine temporary solution to
ensure that early loss of the Oracle servers did not result in loss of the
information. That sounds a fine proposal. I believe what I am proposing here
is complementary, and additionally allows us to make that archive openly
available long-term on a system designed for that purpose.

S.