incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <>
Subject Re: Top level question on website migration
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2011 14:58:27 GMT
On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Kay Schenk <> wrote:

> On 06/27/2011 05:28 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>> Assuming we're not trying for a "big bang" migration where we move
>> everything at once, it seems we have two main approaches:
>> 1) Assign existing DNS to Apache now.  For services
>> which we have not yet migrated to Apache we redirect back to Oracle's
>> server, by IP address.  As additional services are migrated to Apache,
>> we remove redirects.
> Well given the state of the project as it exists today in the Apache
> environment, I think this is fraught with MANY problems. What is "up" on
> Apache right now is really insignificant compared to what is available via
> I think before doing this, we'd need to make a VERY
> comprehensive mapping list of what would be going where.
> I don't mean to overburden everyone with "details", but I think a
> "migration plan" complete with "areas" and timeframes might be in order.
> This would be useful to determine scope as well as creating a reasonable
> schedule.
> Someone would spend a LOT of time maintaining the redirect business.
> I'm concerned with acccess "blips" given this approach. Timing is
> everything.
> Additionally, some people, like me, have edit (committer) rights on parts
> of the OpenOffice web server to continue to make changes (if only
> informative) and no similar rights on Apache. Right now, I'm not doing much
> except trying to keep some reasonable info about the move updated on the
> site on some of the primary pages. But...I really have NO
> idea what others with commit rights are doing on that server at the moment.
> This would be interesting to find out.

I havent been able to do any commits to the site yet, but I also wonder what
is the status of this current site. Is there going to be any SSI? Who
choosed that template? How can I go about it to change it and if it's good
idea to simply change it as please.

Sound a bit rookish questions but also wonder what is the direction of that

>> 2) Do it in the opposite direction:   DNS goes to Oracle's servers and
>> they redirect to Apache for services that we've migrated.  As services
>> are migrated we ask Oracle to add additional requests.  When
>> everything is migrated then we switch over the DNS.
> This seems like a better idea with less redirection for the time being.
> However, this puts control in Oracle's court which may not be desirable.
>> #1 seems a lot cleaner to me, and requires less coordination with
>> Oracle.  We control the DNS, redirects and generally set the pace of
>> migration.  But are there protocols beyond http/https that we need to
>> worry about?  For example, any ftp, smtp, nntp, etc. that would
>> complicate things?
>> If we can agree on the general approach I don't see why we couldn't
>> start some migration this week.  Bugzilla, for example, seems to be a
>> straightforward.
> Well this particular area seems OK. :)
> Really I will do some work via the wiki this week to augment the list on
> the wiki from my perspective on what needs to be done.
>> -Rob
> --
> MzK
> "He's got that New Orleans thing crawling all over him, that good stuff,
>  that 'We Are the Champions', to hell with the rest and
>  I'll just start over kind of attitude."
>                  -- "1 Dead in the Attic", Chris Rose

*Alexandro Colorado*
** EspaƱol