incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Top level question on website migration
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2011 14:58:27 GMT
On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/27/2011 05:28 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> Assuming we're not trying for a "big bang" migration where we move
>> everything at once, it seems we have two main approaches:
>>
>> 1) Assign existing OpenOffice.org DNS to Apache now.  For services
>> which we have not yet migrated to Apache we redirect back to Oracle's
>> server, by IP address.  As additional services are migrated to Apache,
>> we remove redirects.
>>

> Well given the state of the project as it exists today in the Apache
> environment, I think this is fraught with MANY problems. What is "up" on
> Apache right now is really insignificant compared to what is available via
> OpenOffice.org. I think before doing this, we'd need to make a VERY
> comprehensive mapping list of what would be going where.
> I don't mean to overburden everyone with "details", but I think a
> "migration plan" complete with "areas" and timeframes might be in order.
> This would be useful to determine scope as well as creating a reasonable
> schedule.
>
> Someone would spend a LOT of time maintaining the redirect business.
> I'm concerned with acccess "blips" given this approach. Timing is
> everything.
>
> Additionally, some people, like me, have edit (committer) rights on parts
> of the OpenOffice web server to continue to make changes (if only
> informative) and no similar rights on Apache. Right now, I'm not doing much
> except trying to keep some reasonable info about the move updated on the
> OpenOffice.org site on some of the primary pages. But...I really have NO
> idea what others with commit rights are doing on that server at the moment.
> This would be interesting to find out.

I havent been able to do any commits to the site yet, but I also wonder what
is the status of this current site. Is there going to be any SSI? Who
choosed that template? How can I go about it to change it and if it's good
idea to simply change it as please.

Sound a bit rookish questions but also wonder what is the direction of that
site.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* EspaƱol