incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: OOo source licenses (was: Subversion history)
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 17:16:52 GMT
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Mathias Bauer <nospamformba@gmx.de> wrote:
> Should I copy legal-discuss for all questions about licenses of OOo files? I
> don't want to spoil their list.

First I want to correct your grammar :-)

The correct usage is *our* lists, not *their* lists.  You've sent in
your ICLA, your account request is pending, but that is just a
technicality at this point.  For all practical purposes, you are now a
committer and soon all of the paperwork will catch up and recognize
this formally.

As a mentor, I am not only trying to connect people with each other
within the project, but also with other resources that are made
available.  To name a few: infrastructure-dev, press, trademarks, and
legal-discuss.

These are *our* resources.

Second, please take the fact that I forwarded your email on as a
compliment.  Your analysis is excellent.  Here is a list of licenses
that you have found, and here is why you think that they are not a
problem.

Nobody at the ASF can follow every list.  Those that are interested in
license issues follow legal-discuss.

Next, unless you hear otherwise, assume that Lazy Consensus rules are
operating here.  If you don't hear any pushback, assume that people
are OK with your answer and proceed accordingly.  There is no strict
deadline, but at the present time I don't sense that this question is
particularly urgent.

If you hear no pushback by early next week, then it is safe to proceed
with importing these files.  Worst case, they may end up getting
pulled, but if you asked and got no pushback nobody will fault you for
proceeding.

Finally, as to cross-posting (which to be clear is something *I*
started in this case), generally that's suboptimal as it inevitably
breaks into multiple sub-threads as not everybody is subscribed to
both lists.  I'm doing it initially to establish cross-connections,
but over time people should post one place and provide pointers
elsewhere.

> Regards,
> Mathias

- Sam Ruby