incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "Some of our contributors" page
Date Sat, 18 Jun 2011 15:59:19 GMT
On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 11:28, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Jun 18, 2011, at 8:02 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>> As was noted, we now have a basic web site set up for the project:
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/
>>
>> I'd like to draw attention to the "Some of our contributors" page in
>> particular:
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/people.html
>>
>> From what I can tell, the intent of this page is to acknowledge contributors
>> to the project.  And my sense was that this meant more than just committers.
>>
>> I added my own name, based on my contribution to getting the initial web
>> site started.  But I think this is probably worth having a discussion on,
>> especially since others, whose name has not been added, have also made
>> recent contributions.
>>
>> Question: How should this page be managed?  Is there an Apache requirement
>> for how this is handled?  Or does each project set its own rules?  If the
>> later, what rules do we want?  Do we want this to be comprehensive? Or
>> highlight only the "top contributors", by some definition.
>>
>> Personally, I'd favor acknowledging many, rather than few.
>
> Most projects (all?) have a roster of the PMC and committers.
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/whoweare.html
> http://poi.apache.org/who.html
> http://pdfbox.apache.org/team-list.html
> http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/team.html
> http://httpd.apache.org/contributors/
>
> The HTTPD Server project has Major Contributors as well with a big thank you to Rob McCool.
>
> I really think that the OOo should follow a pattern like these. The HTTPD roster includes
greater detail. This might be good.

Ha!! That thing is *soooooo* out of date, it isn't even funny. In
short, it is totally unmaintained. I dunno that you want to use that
as a reference :-P

To answer Rob's question: it is an issue for each project to decide.

Apache Subversion doesn't have a "people" page. We consider it a team
thing, rather than about individuals. People get their recognition via
commit logs :-P ... Is the project about doing great work, or about
getting your name in lights?

Cheers,
-g