incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Subversion & Git (was: Proposed short term goals)
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 14:59:56 GMT
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Christian Grobmeier
<grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you see any serious problems if the code will go into svn in the
> first step (which will last for a while)?

I'd like to rephrase that question: does anybody here have any
credible alternate proposal?  To be credible, requires not just an
outline of a plan, but actual volunteers with a demonstrated ability
to follow through.

The ASF infrastructure team has been burned several times by requests
of the form "how hard would it be to do 'X'" where X is something as
simple as install a wiki or whatever, followed by a brief period of
actual participation, inevitably followed by volunteers moving on to
other things after their particular itch has been scratched, leaving
the infrastructure team holding the bag.

If a plan appears credible, typically some sort of experimental zone
is set up for participants to experiment with.  Joe and others can
also connect people who are interested in git with like-minded others
who can share experiences and workload.

- Sam Ruby