incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Invitation to speak at TransferSummit
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2011 20:59:26 GMT
On 29 June 2011 21:29, Donald Harbison <dpharbison@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ross,
>
> I'm wearing an Apache Hat here.. I'm also wearing an OpenOffice.org Hat
> since
> I've been involved in the project since 2005. So I have alot of history, if
> that's your
> concern.

Sorry, you misunderstood my reply. I have no concern. I think you are
a great candidate speaker, but I want to allow the planet to revolve a
few times to allow others to step up if they so desire.

> One of the aspects of the Apache project that has gotten a fair
> amount
> of misunderstanding is the relationship of IBM Symphony to OpenOffice, and
> now
> with Apache OpenOffice.  Excluding this POV will not be a service to anyone.
> IMHO.

I agree. That's why I don't want someone representing IBM (an IBM
employee representing Apache OO.o is fine). It's a matter of balance,
that's all. If I were asking for an IBM position I would be mailing
IBM not the OO.o mailing list. You being an IBM employee does not
exclude you from representing Apache OO.o, I just wanted to make it
clear what I was looking for.

> I also know the LibreOffice
> people
> pretty well from my history with OpenOffice. It would be great to have the
> beer/coke/whatever...

yay!

> ...Not sure why I'm disqualified in your view from giving the presentation,
> to be honest.

I can only assume it is poor phrasing in my response that makes you
think you are disqualified. Actually your just the kind of candidate I
had in mind, as long as you can talk about Apache OO.o as discussed
above.

Sorry for the confusion.

Ross

OpenDirective http://opendirective.com