incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: User facing web items
Date Sat, 18 Jun 2011 18:56:40 GMT
On 18 June 2011 19:49, Joe Schaefer <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Project websites are a form of official documentation.
>
> We want, but do not require, website content to be Apache
> licensed.  We do however require that all website content
> be backed by an iCLA.
>
> None of that has anything to do with typical communication
> channels like public mailing lists and public forums.  Noone
> can possibily claim that their participation on either was based
> on the premise that their posts would be kept off the web, unless
> some idiotic ToS somehow made them think that.
>
> I prefer we simply respect that such postings remain
> in posession of their respective authors, that our
> license to said works is limited to performing the
> basic essentials of maintaining their public availability,
> and if we'd like to republish their words in a different context,
> like on a project website or in end-user documentation, that we
> simply ask for the necessary permission to do so by seeking an iCLA.

OK, Joe seems very confident in his position on this and my reading of
the Terms on the user forums means we can proceed with under these
conditions as long as the specifics of those terms are adhered to
(which means firstly ensuring that any copyright headers placed by
contributors are respected and secondly ensuring no content is under a
different licence).

That just leaves the technical issues and we have volunteers stepping
up for that :-)

Ross

Ross

OpenDirective http://opendirective.com