incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From C <smau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: User documentation planning
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2011 19:49:27 GMT
On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 20:39, Frank Peters <fpe.mlists@googlemail.com> wrote:
> In this context, I would like to emphasize again that the
> current content on the OOo wiki is *very much taking advantage
> of specific Mediawiki features*. Some of those are unique to
> Mediawiki (AFAIK) and we would lose some nice features if
> we switch engines, for example, "living" TOCs, dynamic page
> lists, and the creation of customized PDF/ODF books from wiki
> content.

Last I checked, the Confluence Wiki can export to PDF and MS Word
documents, but cannot export to ODT.  It would be somewhat
embarrassing to use a Wiki for OOo documentation and only be able to
export MS Word formatted documents :-P  Or... can someone create an
ODT export extension for Confluence?

> If there is any way of keeping MW as engine for the Apache
> OOo community wiki I would strongly vote for it.

I would strongly vote to keep the MW engine too.

If the push is to move all Wiki doc content over to the Confluence
Wiki, there is a lot more to the process than a simple import.  There
is a lot of customization on the MediaWiki side.. custom extensions,
tweaked extensions etc. (most of it is documented on the OOo Wiki
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Wiki_maintenance but there is
definitely some of it in my head that I forgot/neglected to write
down)  Added together, the tweaks and combination of extensions make a
migration to Confluence rather complicated, and it would be a lot of
work.  Best case, a few thousand pages would need complete overhaul or
rewriting to bring them over to Confluence.

C.