incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org Product Roadmap: made by whom ? was: Re: [discuss] remove of binfilter module
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 17:43:22 GMT
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2011, at 9:59 AM, Donald Whytock wrote:
>
>> My two centimes...
>>
>> It sounds like what Martin is asking for is a mechanism whereby a
>> sponsoring corporation or collection of corporations can take the
>> corporate view and "throw money at the problem" to get things done.
>>
>> It occurs to me that this doesn't have to exist within the framework
>> of the ASF.  Since anyone can be a contributor, said anyone could be
>> in the employ of an external nonprof, so a nonprof could accept money
>> for the purposes of hiring people to subscribe to ooo-dev and have at
>> it.
>>
>> This seems like something that the ASF and PMC not only don't need to
>> do anything about, but in fact can't do anything about.
>
> It happens. Companies do get contracted to work on projects. Individuals also may be
paid. If doing so then business interests need to be separated, you really shouldn't make
your payment contingent on the project doing anything. That can become a community problem.

> Companies who are sponsoring such work for hire need to submit a CCLA. http://www.apache.org/licenses/

Largely agree with everything you said, with one subtle point in that
a CCLA may not be necessary depending on a number of factors including
whether that company claims to have a right to the intellectual
property.  Here's the actual text from the ICLA:

   If your employer(s) has rights to intellectual property
   that you create that includes your Contributions, you represent
   that you have received permission to make Contributions on behalf
   of that employer, that your employer has waived such rights for
   your Contributions to the Foundation, or that your employer has
   executed a separate Corporate CLA with the Foundation.

> Corporations / individuals can sponsor the ASF, but cannot direct those donations.
>
> Ross/Sam, do I have this stated correctly?
>
> Regards,
> Dave

- Sam Ruby