incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Subversion history (was: Wiki, SVN, other resources)
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 17:04:37 GMT
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 12:34, Pedro Giffuni <giffunip@tutopia.com> wrote:
> One doubt I have is whether the historic metadata from the previous OOo
> Hg/bugzilla will also be imported. I would guess in the SVN repository
> we want to start from scratch with the donated code, so the previous
> history in Hg can remain where it is. The bugzilla database probably
> has uncommitted code that is nevertheless property of OpenOffice.org.

I believe that we want to bring over the history during the migration.

1) Oracle will shut down the Hg server one day. If we don't bring over
history, then it gets lost.

2) We have clear rights to a list of files, which definitely means the
current version. We can bring over previous versions under "fair use"
rules since we never intend to *release* them. We will simply make
them available on the web, much like Oracle is doing today.[1]

3) Having the history will make it a lot easier for our developers who
need to investigate why something was done in a particular way.

Right now, I believe our biggest impediment to an import is the list
of "which files?". We know there are gaps... we need to figure out
which files are necessary to fill those gaps, then request them from
Oracle.

Cheers,
-g

[1] this "fair use" position was described by Danese to me over the
weekend, and comes from the analysis that Sun lawyers did years ago on
the codebase. the approach sounds perfectly fine to me. cc'ing
legal-discuss for any further conversation.