incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bootstrapping a build
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 03:20:41 GMT
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 21:36, Pedro F. Giffuni <giffunip@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > "configure" is generated from "configure.in" that
>> AFAIK is owned by Oracle
>> > and also resides in OOo's code repository.
>>
>> As mentioned later in this thread, some of that should be
>> just fine.
>> Some of the macros may need to be ripped out.
>>
>> Build artifacts like 'configure' should not be placed into
>> source control. Each developer should generate that after
>> pulling from source control.
>
> "configure" is rather uninteresting, but the source package
> must include it, unless oe expect builders to download a
> specific version of autoconf.

Source control would not have it, but the released source tarball:
yes. ie. the packaging process requires a specific version of
autoconf. That's the standard process that I've seen, rather than
checking configure into source control.

>> If not, then where are the FreeBSD and Debian getting the
>> code from?
>
> FreeBSD has a dmake package available (we get the source
> tarball from Debian). For now it's not being used to build
> OOo but we can use it anytime, assuming dmake in OOo goes
> away.

Alrighty. So it seems the Apache OOo build instructions would say
"fetch dmake. <here> are options."

>> Can't we just use it from there?
>>
> Sure. Hopefully it won't be needed anymore after incubation
> though.

We can certainly use it past incubation. GPL'd build tools are fine.

The question will be whether we graduate before or after the
conversion to gmake. That will simply depend on what people work on
during incubation.

To be honest, I think the podling's "need to make a release" will be
the hardest graduation requirement. Once that happens, then we can
move to graduate (because I suspect the rest will be okay). That first
release will probably still have dmake. If not, then WOOT. Even better
:-)

Cheers,
-g