incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Subversion & Git (was: Proposed short term goals)
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 15:26:50 GMT
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:22, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@openoffice.org> wrote:
> Simon Phipps wrote:
>> One factor we need to consider is making it easy to collaborate with
>> peer/downstream projects, per the podling proposal. LibreOffice has
>> imported all the code into Git
>
> I'm not a LibreOffice developer, and the code I contributed to
> OpenOffice.org is outside core, but I believe an important factor here
> is that, as far as I know, the current LibreOffice setup has 20 or so
> git repositories, which are meant to be consolidated into one sooner or
> later, with a non-trivial migration.
>
> So, if we aim at collaboration, the choice is not only about technology
> but also about repository layout; and this of course makes the picture
> much more complex, because you can't satisfy everybody.

This is a very good point.

When I made the suggestion for Apache's Subversion repository (eeks!
years ago now!), that was "one big repository". We've found it very
useful because we can shift codebases around very easily. No lost
history. No migrations.

And remember that ALL the code falls under the ASF's banner. It is
entirely possible to have code "belong" to Project Foo one day, and
then move it over to Project Bar the next.

Cheers,
-g

ps. people tend to create multiple git repositories because lumping
them together is too costly for the devs to clone. with svn, you check
out only what you need. the "whole repository" approach does not
create any inherent problems.