incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can we release OOo_3.4.0 install sets and language packs? (was: Can we rationalize and formalize "a language project"?)
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 05:51:25 GMT
On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 01:32, eric b <eric.bachard@free.fr> wrote:
> Le 17 juin 11 à 06:40, Greg Stein a écrit :
>> Please read the ooo-dev mailing list to get a better understanding of
>> where we are in the process. I would be surprised if a release is made this
>> year.
>
> Are you serious  ?  :-/

We have a lot of dependencies to rip out and deal with. We have a lot
of files that have not been granted. We have not started any kind of
repository migration. Nobody has investigated the tooling for that
yet.

Some of those cases: it isn't just "remove dependencies" but to
rewrite chunks of code because we have to switch libraries (e.g regex
handling).

This is not simply "run 'make' on ASF hardware".

There are a lot of steps. Six months to the end of the year. ... Hey,
if it can happen, then great. I'd be freaking happy. But the task
seems pretty immense at this point. I'll grant that I may have
exaggerated. Four months?

Over and over, people keep saying "OO.o is a HUGE COMPLICATED piece of
code. IT IS A MESS. HARD TO WORK WITH." and that kind of thing. Either
they are trying to scare people off, show how awesome they are that
they can deal with it, or they're simply telling the truth. I tend to
believe people, so everything built up in my head is that we're going
to have a really, really hard time to build and release this thing.

> There are several experts of OpenOffice.org build on this list, and wait
> more than a month or so, would kill OpenOffice.org.

An Apache release is not going to happen in a month. That is pretty
clear. Back to that "rewrite code to remove dependencies on copyleft
libraries". Let alone the whole repository filtering and migration
issue.

Cheers,
-g