incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC members - AND USERS
Date Sun, 26 Jun 2011 15:21:58 GMT
We have three basic options for legacy content:

1) Migrate it to a dynamic equivalent, e.g. form to forum, list to
list, wiki to wiki.  This might be using the same software or a
different one, though obviously migration is more difficult cross
apps, especially in the absence of standard formats.

2) Archive the content statically, e..g., wget the entire wiki, forum
or list and store the static pages for reference.  Ideally, search
engines and external links don't notice the change.

3) Ignore the legacy content and let it disappear.

I think this is a case-by-case decision that we'll want to make, based
at least partially on how how active the existing service is.  If it
gets no writes, but many reads, then #2 might be appropriate.  If it
is active with both reads and writes then that would recommend #1.

-Rob

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 7:31 AM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:

> On 25 Jun 2011, at 12:23, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> 3) Create lists only when there is a sufficient number of project
>> members on the Apache list asking for new list.
>>
>> I think I like approach #3 better.  There are downsides to having more
>> lists than we need. It fragments the discussion.  If we have 93
>> language projects with each one having dev/marketing/user, etc.,
>> lists, then we have 500 or so mailing lists, most of which see little
>> or no traffic.  Do we really want to recreate that at Apache?
>
> If this approach was taken, what would you propose should happen to the "history" for
all the lists that had not been migrated here by the time the Oracle-hosted servers were turned
off?