incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Naming of trunk and feature branches
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2011 14:16:14 GMT
On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:06, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:
> Am 06/29/2011 03:45 PM, schrieb Greg Stein:
>>
>> Yes, very much clearer. Thanks!
>
> :-)
>
>> Whatever ever we decide on the name, it will be "Apache $something". We
>> know
>> that much, but I don't think the community has (yet) tried to figure out
>> what $something should be. OpenOffice? OpenOffice.org? Office? ... or
>> something entirely new like Apache Alfred.
>>
>>  From there, I think we can figure out the public short names.
>
> Until now there was no reason to think about a new name. And I doubt that we
> want to give up the established name "OpenOffice". If at all we could get
> rid of the ".org" extension but let's see.

We can certainly get rid of ".org" if we choose.

My understanding is that "Apache OpenOffice" is a unique name, and
will not interfere with holders of the "OpenOffice" trademark. We
would just need to be *very* strict about ensuring that the "Apache"
remains in all references.

We can also produce deliverables as "OpenOffice.org, brought to you by
the Apache Software Foundation" or somesuch.

Lots of options.

(but back to topic: probably doesn't matter much on our tag/branch names :-)

Cheers,
-g