incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Proposed short term goals
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2011 20:04:43 GMT
On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Phillip Rhodes
> <motley.crue.fan@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 3:07 PM, <robert_weir@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> But we need to do the basic transition.   It is moving day for
> OpenOffice!
> >>   We need to pack everything from OpenOffice.org that we want to keep
> and
> >> bring it over to Apache.
> >
> > This reminds me of a question I meant to ask earlier... it may already
> have
> > been answered, but if it was, I missed it.
> > What happens to the actual openoffice.org domain name now?  Does it come
> > the ASF along with the code, or does
> > Oracle retain it, or what?  If the ASF has control of it, will we still
> use
> > it a sort of central starting point for accessing the project?
>
> Lesson 1: the ASF is a very bottoms-up organization.  This is
> something the PPMC should work out.  What do you propose?
>
> - Sam Ruby

As I understood it, Oracle was going to give the domain name, as well as the
trademark, to Apache.  But this was not part of the SGA.

As for what happens to it, the proposal, which was just approved, suggested
taking the contents of the current, Oracle-hosted website and dividing it
into two chunks:

1) The pieces that are project-oriented, i.e., the parts that are used to
coordinate the development of the releases, would be mapped to their
equivalents in the Apache project infrastructure.  Since these tend to be
accessed only by those who are working on the code, a relatively small
number of people (<500), we don't have the issue of breaking large numbers
of external URLs.

2) The pieces that are directly user-facing, e.g., the user support
formulas, the releases, the tutorials, the FAQ's, etc., would be preserved,
at the URL level, if possible (via redirects as needed), on a new
OpenOffice.org website.  Since the user facing content has many thousands of
third party links to it, it is important that this be preserved, if at all
possible.

In other words, I think the developers on this project, we can take some
disruption as things move around and find new homes.  But we can not assume
the same of the users, and especially the fragility of the network of links
incoming to OpenOffice.org.  If we can transition the user-facing services
on the website without a hiccup, that would be perfect.

-Rob