incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <>
Subject Re: New goals for OOo
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2011 23:27:47 GMT
Well, as someone who has been involved in the project for about 10 yrs
now...I LIKE your picture, but I wonder how it actually fleshes out given
what we have to work with on the Apache site now.

I am going to apply as an Apache contributor and hope I can at least make a
few small changes to the current OOo Apache site. Until we get a whole scale
site redirect in place vis a vis DNS servers in the great stratosphere (and
hopefully this will NOT happen until we've got more ported over -- or maybe
not, see below), I think we should start cobbling together what we can. I
really don't know what the rules are regarding jumps form the given Apache
site to a secondary server, etc.

Are you basically suggesting that the "new" site or the new entity follow
the areas that you've outlined in your picture? In other words, if OOo does
in fact evolve into an Apache project vs what it is now -- a vanilla open
source project -- what does that mean in terms of governance and structure.
And how does this translate, if at all, to an actual site.

I would like to hear more on this. To me, these are kind of separate
entities, yet now, in this new environment. We need to learn to retool given
the Apache governance process to start with. And then ????

Obviously we need to do a lot more research on this new paradigm.

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Jomar Silva <> wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is the right place to present that, and seeing
> that I'm still learning The Apache Way, I'll try :)
> I've published a few days ago at my blog an idea about what I believe
> we could aim as the architecture of Apache OOo. I believe that this
> could help us to organize the project, tasks and teams, and I did it
> based on several other OOo architecture diagrams I've found online.
> The diagram can be found here
> ( and just for the record I
> also wrote a blog post with my thoughts about the project
> (
> ).
> The text is also available in Brazilian Portuguese and as far as I
> know it was the first text about the project published in Brazil. I'm
> also working here in Brazil with some other friends that are already
> in this list to gather more BR developers.
> Just my R$ 0,02 (which is by far less than the other currencies used
> to present people's cents on this discussion :)).
> Best,
> - Jomar

"He's got that New Orleans thing crawling all over him, that good stuff,
'We Are the Champions', to hell with the rest and I'll just start over kind
of attitude."
                  — "1 Dead in the Attic", Chris Rose