incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kazunari Hirano <khir...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Native Language vs l10n
Date Sun, 19 Jun 2011 01:20:06 GMT
Hi Dennis and all,

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 7:08 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> Hello, Khirano-san (that OK with nickname/UserID?),
OK :)  See the bottom of this mail.

> I was wondering if SVN and Bugzilla infrastructure could be in separate Internet site
> from Japanese Language Project (or vice versa).
I see. But I can not answer this question immediately.
I would like to discuss the question with Maho Nakata, Japanese
Language Project Lead.
Please give me time.

Thanks,
khirano

[OT] === Japanese "-san" usage ===

"-san" is written "さん" in Japanese Hiragana.
If you read Japanese emails, you will see "さん" in almost every mail.

"-san" is very useful postfix to a name in Japanese society, in
Japanese communication, among or between Japanese persons.

You can show politeness, friendship and respect to a person you are
talking to by calling his/her name with "-san."

In Japan when you meet someone for the first time, it is "safe" to
call him/her "Last name + san." And you can keep using it all the time
when you talk to him/her.  You also can use "-san" the same way in
business communication.
"Last name + san" is very useful in Japan.

Suppose I meet for the first time a Japanese whose last name is
"Fujisawa" and first name is "Shuhei."
My last name is "Hirano" and my first name is "Kazunari."
When I introduce myself to him, I say "I am Hirano Kazunari."
I don't say "I am Kazunari Hirano."
He may introduce himself "I am Fujisawa Shuhei."
Then I may say "Nice to see you, Fujisawa Shuhei san, where are you from?"
You see, "-san" is a very flexible postfix.
My neighbors call me, "Hirano-san."
If they call me, "Hirano Kazunari san" or "Kazunari san," it's ok, no
problem, I am fine with it.
My mother calls me "Kazunari!"
I say "Yes, Mom! I'll be right over there very quick!"
:)
My aunts call me "Kaz."
My old friends call me "Nari."
My friends from school call me "Hirano."

"Khirano" is my nickname/UserID/account name for Internet, email or
online community world like here.

It's OK that you call me "Hi Khirano" or "Hi Khirano san" in "writing."
But in real-life conversation it may be difficult to pronounce "Khirano."
Even me don't know how to pronounce "Khirano."
:)
Can you pronounce "orcmid," Dennis san?
I find your id and full name here.
http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html
orcmid, Dennis E. Hamilton.

I may write emails to you starting with:
"Hi orcmid san"
"Hi Dennis san"
"Hi E. san"
"HI Hamilton san"
:)
But you see, "orcmid" doesn't sound to me, I think, or does it sound?
How about "E.", does it sound, "ee period"?
:)
"Dennis san" and "Hamilton san" sound good, don't they?
:)
I thought I can call you in writing "Hi Dennis" since we are working
together in this incubator project and getting to know each other, and
we can be frank.

If I meet you somewhere on the earth, I greet you "Hi Dennis," is it OK?
:)
Thanks,
khirano