incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kazunari Hirano <>
Subject Re: Native Language vs l10n
Date Sun, 19 Jun 2011 01:20:06 GMT
Hi Dennis and all,

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 7:08 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<> wrote:
> Hello, Khirano-san (that OK with nickname/UserID?),
OK :)  See the bottom of this mail.

> I was wondering if SVN and Bugzilla infrastructure could be in separate Internet site
> from Japanese Language Project (or vice versa).
I see. But I can not answer this question immediately.
I would like to discuss the question with Maho Nakata, Japanese
Language Project Lead.
Please give me time.

[OT] === Japanese "-san" usage ===

"-san" is written "さん" in Japanese Hiragana.
If you read Japanese emails, you will see "さん" in almost every mail.

"-san" is very useful postfix to a name in Japanese society, in
Japanese communication, among or between Japanese persons.

You can show politeness, friendship and respect to a person you are
talking to by calling his/her name with "-san."

In Japan when you meet someone for the first time, it is "safe" to
call him/her "Last name + san." And you can keep using it all the time
when you talk to him/her.  You also can use "-san" the same way in
business communication.
"Last name + san" is very useful in Japan.

Suppose I meet for the first time a Japanese whose last name is
"Fujisawa" and first name is "Shuhei."
My last name is "Hirano" and my first name is "Kazunari."
When I introduce myself to him, I say "I am Hirano Kazunari."
I don't say "I am Kazunari Hirano."
He may introduce himself "I am Fujisawa Shuhei."
Then I may say "Nice to see you, Fujisawa Shuhei san, where are you from?"
You see, "-san" is a very flexible postfix.
My neighbors call me, "Hirano-san."
If they call me, "Hirano Kazunari san" or "Kazunari san," it's ok, no
problem, I am fine with it.
My mother calls me "Kazunari!"
I say "Yes, Mom! I'll be right over there very quick!"
My aunts call me "Kaz."
My old friends call me "Nari."
My friends from school call me "Hirano."

"Khirano" is my nickname/UserID/account name for Internet, email or
online community world like here.

It's OK that you call me "Hi Khirano" or "Hi Khirano san" in "writing."
But in real-life conversation it may be difficult to pronounce "Khirano."
Even me don't know how to pronounce "Khirano."
Can you pronounce "orcmid," Dennis san?
I find your id and full name here.
orcmid, Dennis E. Hamilton.

I may write emails to you starting with:
"Hi orcmid san"
"Hi Dennis san"
"Hi E. san"
"HI Hamilton san"
But you see, "orcmid" doesn't sound to me, I think, or does it sound?
How about "E.", does it sound, "ee period"?
"Dennis san" and "Hamilton san" sound good, don't they?
I thought I can call you in writing "Hi Dennis" since we are working
together in this incubator project and getting to know each other, and
we can be frank.

If I meet you somewhere on the earth, I greet you "Hi Dennis," is it OK?

View raw message