incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can we rationalize and formalize "a language project"?
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 19:14:13 GMT
On 17 June 2011 19:04, Louis Suarez-Potts <lsuarezpotts@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On 2011-06-17, at 13:59 , Ian Lynch wrote:
>
> > On 17 June 2011 18:50, Manfred A. Reiter <ma.reiter@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Ingrid, *,
> >>
> >> Am 17.06.2011 17:44, schrieb IngridvdM:
> >>
> >> My understanding is that this contradicts the principles of the Apache
> is

> >> german, brasilian,
> >> spanish, japanes people how contributed to the project in a very good
> way
> >> during the
> >> last years.
> >>
> >> IHMO it is evident, that we need
> >>
> >> So I would like to suggest that we use English on all mailing lists at
> this
> >>>

> >> It is self-evident, that the core has to be in englisch, even if it is
> BSE.
> >>

> > And because us English are not as good at languages as everyone else ;-)
> >
> > IMHO it is self-evident, that we need languages lists - at least for
>
> Let's draw some necessary boundaries, as we did with OOo on this issue. The
> native language projects operated as *informational* resources, not where
> *development* took place. ALL development was (and continues to be) in
> English. But information on specific requests related to use and how-to
> contribute, as well as incidental discussions, were encouraged to be in the
> person's native language in these sub-projects.

The marketing project was not developmental though and it was in English and
contributed to by many non-native speakers.  So it seems to me that there
was/is a need for some core English list(s) that are not necessarily about
dev.

The point was to promote regional and linguistic engagement and growth.

> But, should discussions become related to development, then the point of
> having the native-language projects would be lost, as the group kept in the
> "dark" would be all those tens of thousands who do not speak the native
> language in question.

But wouldn't that also be true of key marketing discussions too?

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.