incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting to our first build
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2011 22:07:24 GMT
On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 15:31, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:
> Let me summarize what I'm hearing the initial steps then are.
>
> 1)  We take the OOo source code with tag OOO340_m1 from
> hg.services.openoffice.org, including the full history, and convert
> that into a SVN repository, e.g.,:   hg convert --dest-type svn
> hgreponame svnreponame
>

> Who does this?  Is this something that can be done remotely, or do we
> need an Oracle admin to do this for us?

We would do this. We have all the access that we need (open source, yay!)

I've started on a script to create this (local) Hg repository. See
tools/dev/single-hg.sh for my first bits. I'm trying it out now, but
it is probably going to take a while to run :-P  (I also have no idea
about CWSs)

The script allows all of us to recreate and test this step.

> 2) We 'svnadmin dump' the repository, and pass the resulting dumpfile
> to the Infrastructure team.
>
> Same question.  Who does the dump?

One of us. I'm sure we will have lots of volunteers.

> 3) Apache Infrastructure will schedule a "Subversion is read-only"
> period, probably on a weekend. They will then use 'svnadmin load' to
> load all the revisions into the Apache repository.
>

> I'm assume the ideal situation would be to have the svn dump file on
> an Oracle ftp server, so Infrastructure can grab it.

I suspect that one of us would run the whole process on
people.apache.org, and then point Infra at the resulting dumpfile.

> Are there any quality checks we need between steps 1 and 2 or between
> 2 and 3?  It would be nice, for example, to verify that things like
> EOL characters or encodings or mime types were right.  Anyone have a
> sense for what the most common ways to screw this up would be?

That's exactly why I've started on a script that we can all use,
review, modify, verify, etc. This should be a reproducible and
documented action.

Cheers,
-g