incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Proposed short term goals
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2011 20:18:31 GMT
>I would suggest waiting a few more hours before proceeding
>with this to give people time to subscribe.  Also I'm not
>sure gating on infra migration is the best strategy to start
>off with.  AIUI Oracle is willing to host the domain throughout
>the incubation period, which will provide us with many months
>to facilitate a smooth transition.

>My primary concern at this point is in getting the codebase
>into subversion, as pretty much nothing can happen until
>that is underway.  I don't believe that's gating on a grant
>or anything else from Oracle, all we need to get going is
>an svn dumpfile to load.  (Doing the license header migration
>will require an appropriate grant, but that can be done at
>any time prior to a release).  If it's as big as I expect it to
>be infra may postpone the load until the weekend in order
>to minimise the downtime impact on the rest of the ASF.

Indeed, getting the code over is exactly the short term goal I was proposing
for dev.

But let's look at this also from a community-building perspective.  If we
want to engage *all* interested project members early, then maybe there are
some things our non-programmer project experts could be doing in parallel?
Even if, in the interest of not overwhelming infrastructure, we hold off
actually moving things, maybe we can at least get some planning activities
around, say, developing a site map for OpenOffice.org as it is today and
making up a table for how we would like the subsites to be mapped.

We have some momentum, people signing up for the project even as the vote
was going on.    So I'm hoping we can find things for everyone who wants to
help, to help.

-Rob