incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Stephan Bergmann <stephan.bergmann.second...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Bootstrapping a build
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 19:57:02 GMT
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net>wrote:

> On 15.06.2011 18:07, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 6:10 AM, Mathias Bauer<Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>> there are two things about building OOo that need to be clarified.
>>>
>>> Currently we use "configure" to set the build environment. The way we are
>>> doing it requires that a few GPLed files are part of our code repository:
>>>
>>> acinclude.m4
>>> aclocal.m4
>>> config.guess
>>> config.sub
>>> configure
>>>
>>> "configure" is generated from "configure.in" that AFAIK is owned by
>>> Oracle
>>> and also resides in OOo's code repository.
>>>
>>> How can we do that in a code repository hosted at apache.org?
>>>

>> This is most likely NOT a problem:
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#build-tools
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-23
>>
>> - Sam Ruby
>>

> I was hoping for that. Excellent. :-)

Is this indeed so?

config.guess and config.sub are clearly marked as falling under the autoconf
exception.

However, aclocal.m4 contains:

- AC_DEFUN(PKG_CHECK_MODULES ...), just marked as "free software" with
"unlimited permission to copy and/or distribute it" (so is probably OK);

- AC_DEFUN(AM_PATH_PYTHON ...) and AC_DEFUN(AM_PYTHON_CHECK_VERSION ...),
marked as GPL without mentioning the autoconf exception.

- AC_DEFUN(AM_RUN_LOG ...), marked as GPL without mentioning the autoconf
exception.

and acinclude.m4 contains:

- AC_DEFUN(AX_FUNC_WHICH_GETSPNAM_R ...), marked as LGPL without mentioning
the autoconf exception.

- AC_DEFUN(PKG_CHECK_MODULES_MACHACK ...), which was once added by me,
carries no explicit license information, and was intended to be covered by
OOo's normal license (so should be OK).

All of these definitions are actually (directly or indirectly) used in
configure.in.  (I checked all this in DEV300_m106, but I think the relevant
files have not changed for quite a while, anyway.)

-Stephan