incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Oh, let's not forget @openoffice.org too
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2011 21:41:50 GMT
On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:

> I'm having difficulty reconciling the openoffice.org email forwarding
> service with how Apache projects work.
>
> Having such an address appears to suggest that the person is
> representing the project,or at the very least is a member of the
> project.  But we speak as individuals, both in the project and
> externally.  If we're suggesting that we represent the project, then
> that is incorrect.  There are exceptions, as outlined in the "multiple
> hats" description [1] , where a PMC Chair or other Apache officers
> might need to speak authoritatively on policy matters.  But that is
> not the typical case.
>
> And remember, committers are given email forwards via an a.o email
> address.  So there is no functional requirement that I can see for an
> OOo address, other than the conventional postmaster and admin
> addresses.
>
> So I'd favor ending the OOo email forwarding.
>
> The alternative would be to continue this service, but that begs the
> question of who is permitted such an address, what such an address
> means, who decides and what criteria are used to decide who gets such
> an address?  That seems to duplicate the kinds of questions we already
> deal with when we look at those individuals whose contributions to the
> project merit being voted in as Committers, and getting an a.o email
> address.
>
> -Rob
>

> [1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#hats
>

> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> > I am not certain this is identified as something to deal with.
> >
> > Along with the openoffice.org domain and whatever happens with that,
> there is also the openoffice.org affinity e-mail forwarding operation.
> >
> > Is there anything in place to sustain that?
> >
> > Might it be interrupted or even retired at some point?
> > (Not proposing, just want to ensure that someone has their eye on this.)
> >
> >  - Dennis

The email is open to anyone signed in the OOo domain in collabnet. I will
support the idea to keep it that way. There is no distinction on what level
of commitment you have to the project. In practice, not many people use the
OOo domain. I did and even as an active user, very few times I have been
inquired on how to use it by fellow project members.

So my idea Rob is, lets keep it like this without giving it too much
overthought of abuse or anything. If there was ill intend it would have been
spoted through the 10 years of OOo history.

BTW the ES project actually use several @openoffice.org accounts for
different initiatives through it. It has never really been an issue.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* EspaƱol