incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Oh, let's not forget @openoffice.org too
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2011 12:33:55 GMT
I'm having difficulty reconciling the openoffice.org email forwarding
service with how Apache projects work.

Having such an address appears to suggest that the person is
representing the project,or at the very least is a member of the
project.  But we speak as individuals, both in the project and
externally.  If we're suggesting that we represent the project, then
that is incorrect.  There are exceptions, as outlined in the "multiple
hats" description [1] , where a PMC Chair or other Apache officers
might need to speak authoritatively on policy matters.  But that is
not the typical case.

And remember, committers are given email forwards via an a.o email
address.  So there is no functional requirement that I can see for an
OOo address, other than the conventional postmaster and admin
addresses.

So I'd favor ending the OOo email forwarding.

The alternative would be to continue this service, but that begs the
question of who is permitted such an address, what such an address
means, who decides and what criteria are used to decide who gets such
an address?  That seems to duplicate the kinds of questions we already
deal with when we look at those individuals whose contributions to the
project merit being voted in as Committers, and getting an a.o email
address.

-Rob

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#hats

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> I am not certain this is identified as something to deal with.
>
> Along with the openoffice.org domain and whatever happens with that, there is also the
openoffice.org affinity e-mail forwarding operation.