incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Naming of trunk and feature branches
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2011 13:03:01 GMT
On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 08:09, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:
> With the discussions about the master and feature branches, the following
> question comes to my mind.
>
> What about this naming schema for master and feature branches? *)
>
> In the past we had the following:
>
> DEV300 = master/trunk/head
> This will never lead to a release

We're using Subversion, and nearly every svn repository across the
planet names this "trunk". Unless there is a specific reason to vary
from that, I don't see why we'd want to name the directory "DEV300".

> OOO340 = branch
> Branched from a specific DEV300 milestone to stablize the code when coming
> closer to a specific release (here: OOo 3.4)

Branches can be named whatever we'd like. My own preference would be
to call this: /branches/3.4.x

The "OOO" is awfully redundant, and the last digit ("0") doesn't make
sense since we would be releasing patches from the branch such as
3.4.1. The "3.4.x" naming is used by many products, and it has worked
out very well.

Cheers,
-g