incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Stephan Bergmann <stephan.bergmann.second...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Subversion & Git (was: Proposed short term goals)
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 17:31:11 GMT
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:28, Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net>
> wrote:
> > - start with a git repo from the beginning
>
> As stated elsewhere, this is not available right now. There are the
> technical issues, and I know that many people also have concerns with
> potential community issues. But that is all a discussion for a later
> time. Not here and now.

Just to have it mentioned somewhere:  At least legend has it that the
existing OOo repo is too fat to handle as a single git repo, and allegedly
that is one reason LO split this into multiple (which I consider very
unfortunate, given that the code base is rather monolithic).

(Apart from that, I can only second Mathias' statement that you do not
really want to go back from distributed to centralized.  But I guess we can
certainly also live with svn. --- We even managed to make do with cvs and
even less friendly stuff in the past...)

-Stephan