incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC members
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2011 15:33:08 GMT
On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Shane Curcuru <asfl@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

>> 3) Project Management Committee (PMC) are Committers or Contributors
>> who are elected, based on merit, to help provide oversight to the
>> project.  They approve releases and elected new Committers and PMC
>> members.
>
> PMC members are almost always existing committers, since it's rare to elect
> someone to control the strategic direction of a project unless they've
> already been a committer for a while - but it's certainly possible.  Note
> that we probably would want an iCLA in any case.

I would suggest "oversight" or perhaps "management" in place of
"control the strategic direction".  In particular, you won't find
discussions about topics like functional requirements on the private
list.

More information as to the role and proper operation of the PMC can be
found here:
http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#audience

- Sam Ruby