incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Can we rationalize and formalize "a language project"?
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 21:43:24 GMT
On 17 June 2011 16:44, IngridvdM <IngridvdM@gmx-topmail.de> wrote:
> Am 17.06.2011 15:07, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>>
>> Louis Suarez-Potts wrote:
> My understanding is that this contradicts the principles
> of the Apache way, because choosing to talk in a native language other than
> English is excluding most others from their possibility to participate.

Native language user lists are fine, as long as there is a) sufficient
demand for them and b) sufficient contributors to manage them.

Non-English core development lists are not acceptable.

I'm not sure if there is precedent for non-english dev lists for
translation and the like. I imagine that they *might* be acceptable
but only if all proposals that affect code (other than language
specific items) would need to be brought to the core list. My gut
feeling is that it would be best to avoid them if at all possible, but
that's just instinct (i.e. not based on practical experience).

I wonder if any of the other mentors have any experience of language
specific dev lists for translation activities.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com>
Programme Leader (Open Development)