incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Speaking of JIRA, Where's Ours?
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2011 16:12:10 GMT
On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:

> I'd like to reopen this question,since I haven't seen a resolution.
>
> I'm hearing some proposing Bugzilla, because of familiarity and ease
> of migration.
>
> I'm also hearing some say that JIRA is superior.
>
> I'm not really persuaded by either argument.  I wonder if we could
> briefly drill down into this a bit more.
>
> 1) I read that the  OOo bugzilla has been customized.  Can anyone
> explain the nature of the customizations?
>
> 2) In what sense if JIRA better?  IMHO all defect tracking systems
> suck.  But I'm open to the possibility that some suck less.
>
> 3) On migration, would it be reasonable to attempt a sandboxed trial
> migration of Bugzilla to JIRA, and let skeptics poke at it for a
> while, to see if, for example, IDs are preserved, etc.?  Would that be
> much work?  The easiest way to convince people that JIRA is possible
> and reasonable might be to actually do it.
>
> 4) What are the downsides of Bugzilla?  If it is a supported option at
> Apache, wouldn't that be the obvious choice?  I think we'd need to
> make a good case for why an alternative would be better.  What are,
> say, the top 3 things that JIRA would do better than Bugzilla?

I can argually say that both suck, the issue tracker that I have seen
easiest is the one provided by google code.

The problem with that tracker is that I am not sure is doable for larger
projects.

The biggest hump of using an issue tracker is locating the right people
(subcomponent) to get the issue to, or asigning a developer to it. whcih
most times is not aparent. The previous OOo (Collabnet) supported templates
which fill out your issue tracker in order to submit the issues faster.
However I found not many people really used it.

I can go to JIRA and find the feature list and compare it with Bugzilla, and
I can see there are some minor advantages, but I agree that the familiarity
of bugzilla is usually lower the learning curve for most people. I mean
whats the point of having a better issue tracker if the users don't get it
right away?

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* EspaƱol