incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New goals for OOo
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2011 15:42:04 GMT
On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> You already are a contributor! You sent this email!
>
> Please join the Community Wiki -
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Wiki+Home

hmmmm...well OK, I didn't think I could actually edit anything! Well I'll
send the ICLA anyway.

> We have started to outline plans there. No ICLA required for that Wiki.

OK...I was actually thinking of editing

http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/

as opposed to the wiki.

> > Well, as someone who has been involved in the project for about 10 yrs
> > now...I LIKE your picture, but I wonder how it actually fleshes out given
> > what we have to work with on the Apache site now.
>
> I wonder also.

Well, I'm assuming that since we are now under the Apache license/rules, the
intent is for more direct community participation than we've had in the
past, perhaps esp in regards to web site/wiki postings.  So...I/we need to
look into this. Fro example, I'm assumign we no longer have a "community
council" though I'm sure we could designate a "manager" of sorts. it's all
up to this group at the moment.

> > I am going to apply as an Apache contributor and hope I can at least make
> > few small changes to the current OOo Apache site. Until we get a whole
> scale
> > site redirect in place vis a vis DNS servers in the great stratosphere
> (and
> > hopefully this will NOT happen until we've got more ported over -- or
> maybe
> > not, see below), I think we should start cobbling together what we can. I
> > really don't know what the rules are regarding jumps form the given
> Apache
> > site to a secondary server, etc.
>
> Here is where we are thinking of building the DNS map:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Transition+Planning
>
> There is information from the last week that needs to be found and added
> here. I've no time yet.

OK...I'll take a closer look and try to review messages... gak!

> > Are you basically suggesting that the "new" site or the new entity follow
> > the areas that you've outlined in your picture? In other words, if OOo
> does
> > in fact evolve into an Apache project vs what it is now -- a vanilla open
> > source project -- what does that mean in terms of governance and
> structure.
> > And how does this translate, if at all, to an actual site.
>
> It is certainly a possible framework to discuss components. Does this
> already match OOo well, or is it a new organization.

Well it matches it well "in concept" but not in actual content totality. For
example, the "Support" area on OO.o, which is sort of omitted from your
current diagram, included not only user forums, but a lot of published
information. Anyway, all this can be fleshed out later. The BIGGEST thing in
terms of inclusion are the native language projects.

> > I would like to hear more on this. To me, these are kind of separate
> > entities, yet now, in this new environment. We need to learn to retool
> given
> > the Apache governance process to start with. And then ????
> >
> > Obviously we need to do a lot more research on this new paradigm.
>
> True.

OK, much to do...it's just confusing going from what you need an Apache ID
for -- like the jumping off page,

 http://incubator.apache.org/projects/openofficeorg.html

and our starting site page....

http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/