incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Speaking of JIRA, Where's Ours?
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2011 16:54:06 GMT
On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jza@openoffice.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to reopen this question,since I haven't seen a resolution.
>>
>> I'm hearing some proposing Bugzilla, because of familiarity and ease
>> of migration.
>>
>> I'm also hearing some say that JIRA is superior.
>>
>> I'm not really persuaded by either argument.  I wonder if we could
>> briefly drill down into this a bit more.
>>
>> 1) I read that the  OOo bugzilla has been customized.  Can anyone
>> explain the nature of the customizations?
>>
>> 2) In what sense if JIRA better?  IMHO all defect tracking systems
>> suck.  But I'm open to the possibility that some suck less.
>>
>> 3) On migration, would it be reasonable to attempt a sandboxed trial
>> migration of Bugzilla to JIRA, and let skeptics poke at it for a
>> while, to see if, for example, IDs are preserved, etc.?  Would that be
>> much work?  The easiest way to convince people that JIRA is possible
>> and reasonable might be to actually do it.
>>
>> 4) What are the downsides of Bugzilla?  If it is a supported option at
>> Apache, wouldn't that be the obvious choice?  I think we'd need to
>> make a good case for why an alternative would be better.  What are,
>> say, the top 3 things that JIRA would do better than Bugzilla?
>>

> I can argually say that both suck, the issue tracker that I have seen
> easiest is the one provided by google code.
>
> The problem with that tracker is that I am not sure is doable for larger
> projects.
>
> The biggest hump of using an issue tracker is locating the right people
> (subcomponent) to get the issue to, or asigning a developer to it. whcih
> most times is not aparent. The previous OOo (Collabnet) supported templates
> which fill out your issue tracker in order to submit the issues faster.
> However I found not many people really used it.

There are two audiences (at least) for the tracker:

1) Project members, who know their way around, know the sub components, etc.

2) Users, or other who submit a defect report rarely. They need an
easy way to enter a bug report and check its status later.

I'm assuming:

1) Project members will usually get the assignments right for the
defects they submit, regardless of whether we use JIRA or Bugzilla.

2) Users will almost never get the assignments right, regardless of
what we do to help them.

If that is generally true, then project members will need to monitor
incoming defect reports, via the issues list, and categorize them as
needed.  This is true whether we use JIRA or Bugzilla.

And what if we didn't assign developers at all?  What if instead we
had project volunteers claim what issues they want to work on and
self-assign them?

(Btw, JIRA does have the idea of a component owner that can be
automatically assigned to new issues, if we did want to use that
approach)

-Rob