incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: "Some of our contributors" page
Date Sat, 18 Jun 2011 16:24:08 GMT
On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:

> To answer Rob's question: it is an issue for each project to decide.
>
> Apache Subversion doesn't have a "people" page. We consider it a team
> thing, rather than about individuals. People get their recognition via
> commit logs :-P ... Is the project about doing great work, or about
> getting your name in lights?
>
> Cheers,
> -g

The interesting thing to me is this study:

I-H. Hann et al., “Economic Returns to Open Source Participation:A Panel
Data Analysis,” unpublished working paper, Univ. of Southern California;
http://opim.wharton.upenn.edu/wise2004/sun412.pdf

This study looked at Apache specifically, at the motivations of
contributors, and noted that one motivation for contributing to a project
was the signaling value to current and future employers.

"Our analysis shows that employers do not reward the accumulation of
experience in open source projects per se.  Rather, successful open source
participation, measured as higher open source rank, is associated with
higher wages, even after controlling for work and programming experience".

I don't see any essential conflict between working as a team effort while
also allowing contributors signal their contributions.  If we do this right,
the interests of the project and of the individual are aligned.  I see this
as an essential part of recruiting non-sponsored contributors, of growing
the project and its community.

Maybe the most sensible thing is to list all committers?

-Rob