incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Teams and Leads - where leadership lives (sermonette warning)
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 22:14:39 GMT
On 16 June 2011 19:27, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> SERMONETTE
>
> I know, in my case, this will take some awkward and uncomfortable transformation of how
I see myself in the context of coordinated activities.  I'm already seeing, on the PPMC,
that it takes something to learn to function by consensus inspired by shared commitment rather
than other, often-personal considerations.  I say that it is mutual commitment that carries
the day every time.  (Everyone is here because they want to be, whether or not it turns out
to be what we were expecting.)

Thanks for this observation (and the rest of your useful mail which I
encourage everyone to read in full, I certainly learned from it). I
notice that nobody has commented so I thought I'd take the opportunity
to make an observation about The Apache Way:

In the ASF silence means approval and agreement (even if only through
lazy consensus). This can take a great deal of getting used to i.e. a
post that says "maybe we proceed by using foo" but met with silence
does not mean "we're ignoring you" it means the community agrees.

For those used to asking for forgiveness rather than permission it's a
little easier to get used to, but still a little uncomfortable at
times.

Think of the list traffic that is removed by this process of lazy
consensus through silence ;-)

Ross

--
Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com>