incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <>
Subject Re: Build-Translate-Plan
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2011 14:21:54 GMT
On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Greg Stein <> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 09:11, Marcus (OOo) <> wrote:
>> Right. Maybe we should split this into 2 parts:
>> 1. The very first build(s) to handle fixes for build breaker:
>> IMHO here it should be enough to have en-US only
> For better or worse, the ASF is US-centric, so this makes sense.

For a smoke test I'd still do at least one other language.  One
possible error is that a programmer hard codes a UI string rather than
using a resource file.  If we just test builds with the the English
resources we would not catch this.

But since the translation files tend to lag the builds, I wonder if
some form of "pseudo-translation" would work just as well?

Is this something that OOo already does?

>> 2. If this is done the next builds can be also used for looking into the
>> localizations.
>> We had the following set of languages for our developer milestones (DEV300
>> and OOO340):
>> - English (US) as master language
>> - German due to historical reasons and we had the most testers here
>> - French for the same reason IMHO and long strings
>> - Japanese due the CJK characters and to test RTL writing
>> - Russian due to Cyrillic charachters
>> - Arabic due to the characters and to test bidi writing
> I doubt that we'll see the same number of people step up, that OOo saw
> (say) a year ago. With the stagnation during the Sun/Oracle
> acquisition, with the LibreOffice initiative, and with the recent move
> to the ASF, the entire ecosystem is kind of separated. I believe it
> will take some time for the system to settle down and for people to
> decide where they would like to contribute.
> It would be great to place the above onto our wiki as "nice to have".
> But I believe it will take us a while to reach it.
>> So, we could stick with this (or maybe exchange the one or other language if
>> is no volunteer to test at the moments, maybe French -->
>> Brazilian-Portuguese ?).
> Not sure about this. Again, I think we'd need to look at what help
> arrives. Brazilians are awesome in the Free software space. It is
> really a national thing.
>> ---
>> 3. Tests for release builds are out of scope at the moment, but more
>> language tests the better.
>> BTW:
>> We have also smoke tests. If I'm not wrong these should be included in the
>> source code.
> Yes. Please see that any l10n tests get into the main code base!
> Cheers,
> -g

View raw message