incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: OpenOffice project interest in South Africa?
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2011 23:26:59 GMT
On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 7:04 PM, Joe Schaefer <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Less democracy, more meritocracy at this point please.  It's now
> almost 1 month since the proposal hit general@incubator, and as
> Danese suggested, it's time to let go of the idea that getting
> diverse representation from key geographical locations is going
> to lead to a more productive working group at the ASF.

Joe, there is nothing that says we cannot value both.

How long since the *proposal* was submitted to the general list is
irrelevant.  The actual project has been here for two weeks.

> There is a lot to do here, and all I see is very sketchy starts
> at getting any of it done.  If leaders are to be born here we need
> them to step up and start tackling this massive set of problems
> a little bit at a time.

True, and we are making progress.  This is occurring on many other
threads.  But this is irrelevant to the question I was asking.
Remember, we need to think ahead a few steps.  For every person
writing core code, we will need multiple people testing, documenting,
translating, porting, supporting, and yes, using the product.  These
are all part of the Apache OpenOffice project.

As we move forward with the core coding tasks, I feel no reason to
apologize for continuing the community development.  In fact I hope
this project never ever reaches the point where it believes that
reaching out for more members is a bad thing, and that additional
offers of help is anything but a blessing.

> I'm not saying not to go out and invite more people to the project.
> I am saying be careful how you do it because the community is watching
> for favoritism or any other unfair methods of advancement.

Could you explain *your* concern with regards to "favoritism" or
"unfair methods of advancement"?  Vague insinuations, hiding behind
"the community is watching" does not sit well with me.

-Rob