incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC members - AND USERS
Date Sat, 25 Jun 2011 16:28:40 GMT
On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Dick Groskamp <th.groskamp@quicknet.nl>wrote:

> Op 25-6-2011 17:23, Rob Weir schreef:
>
>> Thanks for the list.  I looked around.  Some lists are very active.
>> Some have not seen activity for a year or more.  Some seem to never
>> have been active.  And some are just full of spam :-(
>>
>> I can see three ways to decide what to do (but maybe someone has other
>> ideas?):
>>
>> 3) Create lists only when there is a sufficient number of project
>> members on the Apache list asking for new list.
>>
> +1
>
>> Right now we have just a single discussion pubic list, ooo-dev.  I can
>> easily imagine, that once we have some code checked in and start
>> actively working on making our first release, that the traffic in that
>> one list will be larger enough that we'll want to split into
>> specialized functional lists, maybe:
>> [snip]
>>

>> I don't think we're there yet, but I can certainly see that happening
>> in the next few weeks/months.
>>
> I can surely agree with that
>
>  1) Do we want Apache to host a Pootle server?  If so, we need to put
>> together that request and make it happen.
>>
> O yes please...... (but I was the main cinbtributor for that on the "old"
> project for the Dutch language.)
>
> But there was another reason. SUN/Oracle made the builds with about 8
> langiages EMBEDDED in them.
> Yes, indeed one of them was Dutch.  :-)
>
> Furthermore the proces was more and more set to be automated. Source
> strings were fed to POOTLE.
> The translators for each language could then do their job in POOTLE and
> engineers from SUN/Oracle
> pulled, when they could use them in htier proces, the strings from POOTLE
> and proces them towards the build.
> Last minute translations could mostly be delivered on time for the final
> pull for releases
>
> Since localization seemed to be always at the end of the proces translators
> had to work under duress.
> This way the pressure was less at the end of the proces since strings were
> already for the biggest part already
> translated.

At the same time, there was efforts to do the continuos l10n which was meant
to have localization at any time of the process.
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/ContinuousL10n

server for the continuos l10n will give out reports on false strings.
ftp://qa-upload.services.openoffice.org/l10n/download/

There was also special KeID builds to do QA on the locale which ease the
context of the locale:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/KeyID_Build

--
*Alexandro Colorado*