incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Source format for user guides
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2011 19:42:45 GMT
On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 21:21, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:
> OK.  My misunderstanding then.  When you started the thread you wrote:
>
> "I assume that user guides similar to the existing ones are a desirable
> subset of user documentation, and that we wish to continue producing
> them.
>
> Therefore, I propose that we agree the SOURCE FORMAT for the USER GUIDES
> will continue to be ODT. (The alternative is wiki format for the
> source.)"
>
> I mistakenly assumed that when an Apache OpenOffice committer talks
> about "we" on an Apache OpenOffice list, that the "we" being referred
> to was the Apache OpenOffice project. Me bad.

Actually in that note I did mean "we" as the Apache OpenOffice
project, in the sense of "the Apache OO project wishes to continue to
have user guides produced for the Apache OO product". In that note, I
was not talking about where, how, or by whom those user guides might
be produced, only the format of the source documents to be produced
and maintained.

The issue of where, how, and by whom was (and is) in my mind a
separate question. When Andy Brown brought up ODFAuthors as a possible
production site, that changed the discussion from "what" to "where,
how, and by whom". My second note was on that topic... how ODFAuthors
could potentially be used to produce the "what".

--Jean