incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Source format for user guides
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2011 21:18:43 GMT
An interesting example might be Apache Subversion.

Go to their project page here:

http://subversion.apache.org/

Notice the link that says "Read the official Subversion documentation online!"

That takes you to a non-Apache site:  http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

If you look at the feedback section it shows that issues are tracked
at code.google.com

So in that case, there was a usual manual, apparently created and
maintained outside of Apache, that is called "official Subversion
documentation".

However, it does not appear that the document is distributed as part
of the official Subversion source distribution.

This is a little confusing.  Maybe one of our mentors can explain how
this works.  What makes this documentation "official"?  Presumably the
project's PMC endorses it and permits a link to it.

-Rob