incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC members
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2011 19:26:14 GMT
On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, yes, I saw this. Really I was confused as to what should be considered
> the "main site". I made some changes to what is currently the "main"
> Openoffice.org site --- www.openoffice.org -- and based on this additional
> explanation, I will change that site again to follow this.

That is a good question.  I have my opinion, but others may have
different thoughts.

If we look at the existing OpenOffice.org, we see a mix of services,
and maybe can divide it into two categories:

- Pages and services that are used by the project volunteers (dev, qa,
translation, marketing, UI, support education, etc.) to build,
distribute and promote OpenOffice

- Pages and services used by the users of OpenOffice (downloads,
tutorials, online documentation, etc.)

I think we need a plan to preserve all the needed user-facing pages,
and to preserve all the incoming links to those pages from other
websites.  Yahoo reports that there are 1.2 million "backlinks" to
OpenOffice.org.  We don't want to break those links.   So as we move
these services to Apache, we'll need to have a good set of mod_rewrite
rules to redirect browsers to the right pages.

We'll also need a "project website" for the resources that the project
volunteers need access to.  That will probably remain at an Apache
address, like openoffice.apache.org.  I believe that
http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/ is the equivalent of our
"project page" right now.

So are you interested in the user-facing website?  Or the Apache
project website?  Or do you think we should consider a different
model?

-Ro b