incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: decision making (wsa Re: [discuss] remove of binfilter module)
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 20:06:28 GMT
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 15:39, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> In the rare event that somebody wishes to take exception to a change
> like this, we deal with that on an exception basis; sometimes this is
> simply a matter of somebody else fixing the fix.  In extreme cases we
> may decide to first revert the controversial change and then talk
> through the issue on the relevant list.

Short note: ALWAYS let the original person perform the revert. They
should recognize lack of consensus, understand there isn't a way
forward at the time, and perform the revert. (of course, the "wrong"
stuff could be left in, the community decides a fix, and you move
onwards without a (temporary) revert)

The only reason to perform a revert for somebody else's work is if
there is build breakage that prevents everybody from working (and note
that I said *build* rather than *test*). Or maybe if the person just
drops off communications for an extended period of time.

Taking a unilateral action (revert) against somebody else's commit is
one of the highest forms of antisocial behavior. I've run into this a
couple times[1] and so it really wanted to stress this particular
point.

And yes, I know Sam wasn't referring to this kind of behavior. He said
"we may decide". I just wanted to clarify who would *perform* the
revert after that decision.

Cheers,
-g

[1] the latest was actually a commit/revert war that went two cycles
before it escalated. very uncool.