incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: i18npool files from ICU
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2011 14:32:52 GMT
Do you know the origin of the IBM copyrighted files?  Any indication
of where they came from?

Parts of this library ended up in the JDK, parts ended up in an IBM
library, and eventually made it into an open source release.  I can't
easily determine whether these data files came from the open source
version or from an earlier precursor project.

So, I think the effort needed to track down the provenance of those
files, along with the paper work needed at IBM to get approval for
release under Apache 2.0, would be far greater than substituting the
current ICU files.

Note that I'm not asserting that IBM owns these files.  I'm just
saying that it is probably easier/faster to take the current ICU data
files.

-Rob

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> does that mean that you don't recommend to take the files from OOo (with IBM
> copyright remark) and start with those from the current ICU instead?
>
> Regards,
> Mathias
>
> On 21.06.2011 13:59, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> ICU is open source today:  http://site.icu-project.org/
>>
>> The license is the ICU License:
>> http://source.icu-project.org/repos/icu/icu/trunk/license.html
>>
>> According to the ICU web site,  ICU is used by several Apache
>> projects, including: Harmony, Lucene, Solr, PDFBox, Tika, Xalan and
>> Xerces
>>
>> If we use the latest version of the breakiterator data from ICU, it
>> should be fine.
>>
>> -Rob
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 2:55 AM, Mathias Bauer<Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> another bunch of files that needs some discussion are the data files in
>>> the
>>> i18npool module.
>>>
>>> These files have been created by a Sun developer, Karl Hong, based on ICU
>>> files. Some of these files contain an IBM copyright header, but no
>>> license:
>>>
>>> i18npool/source/breakiterator/data/*    (CR by IBM)
>>> i18npool/source/collator/data/*
>>> i18npool/source/indexentry/data/*
>>> i18npool/source/localedata/data/*