incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Phillip Rhodes <motley.crue....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [discuss] remove of binfilter module
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 13:37:02 GMT
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Raphael Bircher <r.bircher@gmx.ch> wrote:

> Am 15.06.11 00:58, schrieb Kai Ahrens:
>
>  Hi Andrea,

>>> Even though I highly trust the developers when they say that binfilter
>>> is unmanageable, I share these concerns. It would be best to package
>>> binfilter as an extension if feasible, or at least to have a simple
>>> conversion tool available for download (not an older version of OOo, but
>>> a small, dedicated tool that users could download if needed, and that
>>> can be run separately from OOo).
>>>
>> I'm absolutely fine with this proposal. I just don't want to have this
>> code within the bare OOo product itself.
>>
> If we make an Extension or a seperate Tool I vote absolutly +1 I think this
> would be a good compromiss.

+1.  I'm fine with removing the code, as long as we know it can be packaged
up as an extension and/or made available separately.  Preferably it can be
available as an optional extension... as others have mentioned, some users
might not find it practical to mass convert - and reload into a DMS -  a big
pile of "old format" files.

Phil