incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bootstrapping a build
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 23:27:24 GMT
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 06:10, Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net> wrote:
> Moin,
>
> there are two things about building OOo that need to be clarified.
>
> Currently we use "configure" to set the build environment. The way we are
> doing it requires that a few GPLed files are part of our code repository:
>
> acinclude.m4
> aclocal.m4
> config.guess
> config.sub
> configure
>
> "configure" is generated from "configure.in" that AFAIK is owned by Oracle
> and also resides in OOo's code repository.

As mentioned later in this thread, some of that should be just fine.
Some of the macros may need to be ripped out.

Build artifacts like 'configure' should not be placed into source
control. Each developer should generate that after pulling from source
control. I think that config.guess and config.sub are also artifacts.

> dmake is GPLed and hosted at openoffice.org, because the original developers
> have abandoned it long time ago. We never made binary releases of dmake and
> we don't need to do it in the future, but we need to find an "official"
> place for the dmake source code, so that we can build a binary version for
> us that can be used to build OOo.

There has been conversation about hosting this at apache-extras.org,
but ... what do the TDF/LO folks do? Are they just using dmake from
the OOo repository, and hoping that it won't go away? Have they moved
away from dmake?

In short: can we rely on what TDF is doing for dmake?

If not, then where are the FreeBSD and Debian getting the code from?
Can't we just use it from there?

Goal here being: can we avoid dealing with getting dmake onto
apache-extras, and just use whatever other people are doing already?
Simplify our lives! :-)

Cheers,
-g