incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Community and Developer Wikis Now Available
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2011 12:41:23 GMT
On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> Announcement - two confluence wikis are now available for the Apache OpenOffice.org project.
>
> The Apache OpenOffice.org Community Wiki is at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/
>
> The Apache OpenOffice.org Developers Wiki is at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOODEV/

Excellent.  Thanks, Dave!

> Anonymous viewing is allowed.
>
> In order to create content sign up for a confluence wiki account at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/signup.action
>
> If you have an apache.org email address it is easiest for us for you to use it for the
wiki.

> The Community wiki is for everyone.
>
> The Developers wiki is for project planning and documentation. Permission to create content
must be limited to the Podling PMC, OOo committers, Foundation Members, and those who have
signed an ICLA (http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt). To be authorized, once you have
signed up for the wiki, please request access rights by replying to this email with your ID.

I'd like to consider whether the  Community Wiki might work better for
project planning.  I certainly see the requirement that documentation
be created by those who have signed the iCLA, especially documentation
which is included in a release.  That is called out on the CWIKI FAQs
[1]

"the touch point is whether you want to reserve the right to bundle
the documentation with a release and/or check a copy into an ASF
repository"

Although documentation certainly falls into that category, I don't see
why project planning does.  In fact, as we trying to coordinate the
migration of the OpenOffice.org website, I think we'll need to
coordinate with various groups, not all of whom are committers, and
some of which are still evaluating whether they will join the project
or continue their work elsewhere.  So I think that for the near term
at least, such project planning is best done in a space where anyone
can participate.  Since these plans do not get checked into SVN, or
become part of the release, I don't see how this could be a problem,

-Rob

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/CWIKI/#Index-Butwhatifwewouldlikethecommunityatlargetohelpmaintainthespace%253F