incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Building a single Hg repository (was: An svn question)
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2011 12:44:34 GMT
On Jun 29, 2011 8:38 AM, "Jens-Heiner Rechtien" <jhrechtien@web.de> wrote:

> On 06/29/2011 12:17 PM, Greg Stein wrote:
>
> [... snip ...]
>

>> Um. I see kind of a pot shot at svn here. I'll give you the benefit of
>> the doubt, rather than get cranky. The local pristines (beyond just
>> diff) mean that commits can send deltas, rather than the whole file.
>> And when you're working with 4G files (oh, wait! Hg can't deal with
>> files that size!) then sending a delta is very important.
>

> Of course, anyone who actually commits 4G files to a *source* code
repository should be tarred and feathered.

Next time you play Quake, send a "thanks" to Subversion. id Software has
been using svn for years to store image and video assets. Subversion was
*designed* for more uses than just us code monkeys.

I could name others, but it would be tiresome. Fact is that svn can store
huge amounts of data. And people use that feature. Daily.

-g