incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting to our first build
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2011 15:46:46 GMT
(Reintroducing myself, I'm an Apache Member with some knowledge of
releases, builds and legal stuff. I signed up to provide some hands on
help in these areas. I've also been involved with the Incubator for a
while so I might also jump in with .)

(At Apache, we conventionally avoid top posting and like to cut
content whilst preserving context. Good subjects with renaming when
necessary is also seen to be a Good Thing. This tends to produce more
concise and inclusive discussion threads by preserving immediate
context for a particular point. So please forgive my editing...)

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 4:55 AM, Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net> wrote:
>> On 27.06.2011 22:06, Rob Weir wrote:

<moved>

>>> I think one approach would be to start with everything, which should
>>> presumably build, and then subtract.  So check in everything from OOo
>>> into SVN, verify that it builds.  That establishes a known state.
>>> Then verify the IP.  Maybe use SVN properties to tag the files that
>>> were covered by Oracle's SGA.  Anything not tagged needs to be
>>> investigated.  Some things lead to requests for amending the Oracle
>>> SGA. When we get those, we indicate so in an SVN property.  Some
>>> things will be GPL/LPGL.  These get also get tagged with properties
>>> before being deleted.  We continue to iterate until all files
>>> remaining in the repository have a property indicating that we've
>>> proven their provenance. Ideally, as things are removed, we do so in a
>>> way that we can always still build.  So we start in a well-defined
>>> state and stay in a well-defined state.
>>
>> I can't judge whether this approach is feasible.

</moved>

> I don't know whether my approach is feasible either.  I know we can
> set properties on files in SVN.  You can retrieve them individually,
> but I don't see a way to query them, e.g., list all files that don't
> have a license property, or download all files that have a license
> property set to Apache 2.0.

IMHO new tools are going to be needed sooner or later. For example,
the Jakarta Project led to Ant and Maven. So, if a query tool is
needed for subversion, one can probably be written.

FWIW Ant is a procedural build language. Maven is a declarative one.
IMHO to sustain a rich and diverse downstream ecology, OOo will need a
compositional build language layer.

Robert