incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Some more strange files in the OOo code
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2011 23:29:30 GMT
On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 18:47, Pedro F. Giffuni <giffunip@tutopia.com> wrote:
> --- On Thu, 6/30/11, Alexander Thurgood <alex.thurgood@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Le 29/06/11 23:05, Pedro F. Giffuni a écrit :
>>
>> Hi Pedro,
>>
>> I was particularly wondering about this one :
>>
>> > Name
>>     Version    license
>> > __________
>>
>> > mysql-connector
>> 1.1.0    GPL
>>

> Hi Alex;
>

>> The connector-c package from Mysql containing the libmysql
>> library is
>> released under GPL2, at least that is what is says in the
>> copy I have.
>
> All MySQL is GPLv2. This is not really a problem for us
> because this is some functionality we would be likely to
> make optional: not every OpenOffice user requires a db
> connector (although it is admittedly cool).

Right. This would be an easy option for ./configure. Downstream
packages/users can choose whether to use it or not, so it meets
Apache's needs.

>> Oracle owns Mysql, so one would have thought that in theory
>> this code could also be granted to the ASF - however, it
>> appears that that is still uncertain, since as you rightly
>> point out the list given is silent on the licence
>> information.
>

> I think a connector license change would actually make a lot
> of sense for *them*. The main competitor is BSD-licensed but
> if they want to keep it copyleft I am pretty sure they know
> the advantages of the CDDL, so perhaps someone should just
> remind them ;) .

It used to be under a more liberal license, and they moved it *to*
GPLv2. The goal was to force more people into a custom (paid) license
agreement for apps/tools that wanted to work with MySQL.

I doubt they'd want to go back to a permissive license :-P

But again... it is moot at this point because of the configure option
for this whole set of functionality.

Cheers,
-g