incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Repository arrangement (was: [discuss] remove of binfilter module)
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 08:48:53 GMT
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 03:51, Christian Lippka <cl@lippka.com> wrote:
> I do not know if apache allows to have multiple svn repositories for each
> project.
> But moving binfilter to a separate repository and refactor it to become a
> build independent filter makes sense. Since it does not alter any core
> internal
> stuff, it is also something that one or more developers can work on without
> interfering with ongoing core development.

All projects at the ASF live in one single repository:
  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/

Thus, there is no notion of "multiple" repositories or "separate"
repositories. The question revolves around organization of our area of
the repository.

Let's consider that we have some $PREFIX based on the above (e.g.
.../repos/asf/ooo/). We could then organize along standard Subversion
patterns:

PREFIX/
  trunk/
  tags/
  branches/

The above pattern works great for a single set of deliverables,
released in unison, on the same release pattern. It sounds like OOo is
going to want more than one release vehicle. That gets really hard on
the community, compared to releasing 50 components at once, even if 40
are unchanged. But for conversation, let's say we want to enable
separate delivery schedules for the core applications, the extensions,
and the language packs. In this scenario, we might have:

PREFIX/
  app/
    trunk/
    tags/
    branches/
  languages/
    en/
      trunk/
      tags/
      branches/
    pt/
  extensions/
    ext1/
      trunk/
      tags/
      branches/
    ext2/

The options are quite open. The choice is primarily driven by release
schedules of components, and their inter-dependencies.

Subversion is also very easy to re-arrange. We can decide one thing,
and change it two years from now.

The decision point is how to break up (OR NOT!!) the release artifacts
into groups.

Cheers,
-g